SNYDER MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH
226 NORTH LAURA STREET
ARCHITECT: J. H. W. Hawkins
BUILDERS: McCarrel & Sloane - Charleston, S.C.
Originally known as Trinity Methodist
Episcopal Church, the Snyder Memorial Methodist congregation was
founded in 1870. Following the destruction of its church during
the 1901 Fire, plans were immediately made to erect another building on
the same site. Work began late in 1902, with the first services
held in the new building one year later. Upon its completion, the
church was renamed Snyder Memorial, in honor of former pastor E.
B. Snyder, whose children had donated generously toward the rebuilding
effort. This Gothic Revival edifice was constructed at an
approximate cost of $31,000 and, according to newspaper reports, built
of "granite rubble trimmed with Indiana limestone." This church
is a fine tribute to the craftsmen who came to rebuild Jacksonville
after the big fire. Carved stone detailing is in abundance. A
crenelated bell tower projects from the northeast corner of the
sanctuary. An intricate rose window graces the facade. The
building remains virtually unchanged from its original construction.
Its highly visible site overlooking Hemming Plaza adds to Snyder
Memorial's prominence in the architecture of Downtown.
to Downtown Listings
Next Downtown Site